The Gilbert Stuart Birthplace and Museum is situated on 23 acres in the woods of Saunderstown, Rhode Island on a beautiful millpond and stream, surrounded by gardens, woodland hiking trails, fresh water fishing and more!
Your Visit to the Museum
- Admission payment allows entry to the gallery exhibit, access to museum grounds and trails, and a guided tour of the Birthplace and Hammond Gristmill.
- Entry into the Birthplace and Hammond Gristmill is with the guided tour only
- Guided tours are given on the hour beginning at 10:00a.m.
The last tour is at 3:00p.m.
- Guided tours are given by Museum docents and last about 45 – 60 minutes.
- The tour includes the Hammond Gristmill, the Birthplace, a discussion of
Gilbert Stuart’s life and works, colonial daily life, water-powered mill technology,
a colonial herb garden, and a fish ladder.
- Pets are not allowed in the buildings or on the grounds.
- Out of courtesy, we ask that you silence your cell phone while visiting and touring the museum.
- Photography is allowed on our beautiful grounds but no photography is allowed in the buildings.
Museum parking lot is directly across the street from the Welcome Center.
Additional parking is available in a lot directly across the street from the Birthplace.
Welcome Center and Gallery: Our Welcome Center and Gallery is accessible via a ramp in the front of the building. Public areas in this building meet ADA guidelines.
Grounds: Our grounds and paths are grassy and uneven.
Historic buildings: The Benjamin Hammond Gristmill and the Birthplace have several stone stairs and are not wheelchair accessible. The lower level of the Birthplace (the Snuff Mill) can be reached by a narrow staircase or via a grassy hill beside the Birthplace.
We encourage you to call the office for specific information for your accessibility needs.
Bus tours, school field trips, home school groups, scouts, and other groups are welcome! Group rates are available for groups of 10 or more. A reservation is required for all group visits.
RENT THE GROUNDS FOR WEDDINGS, PARTIES, & PHOTOS
The grounds are available to rent for weddings, parties, and photographs. Please call the office (401-294-3001) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org) for information.